Monday, April 16, 2012

“I Am Forsaken” Looking Back at World of Warcraft

It’s been almost a year since I thought about an old fanfiction story that I wrote about Blizzard’s World of Warcraft. In the game, there’s a faction called the “Forsaken,” they’re a race of zombies who belong to the Horde.

Long considered the “evil” races, the Horde has a long tradition of races who have suffered some sort of hardship (often of no fault of their own) and overcome it.

In the case of the Forsaken, they’re a race of enslaved undead who have recently gained freedom and sentience.

As a result, I thought about how they handle an alien philosophy and a totally alien morality from living species. In fact, one of the quest chains of the Forsaken in the development of a plague that would give them the ability to kill other races and turn them into more undead.

Not exactly the nicest thing.

Why my fanction today?

This comes to mind today because I’ve received yet another favorite on my story on Fanfiction.net I Am Forsaken. The reason it’s important to me is that it takes a human perspective of death, returning as undead, and how some might feel about the alien morality of spreading plague and death.

After all, all the undead were alive once.

Link, via Fanfiction.net

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting take! The undead are ussually used in film as a symbol of consumerism (some even suggested they are the new western). But your approach is certainly original.

Kyt Dotson said...

Heh, never thought about it that way. I can see how movies such as "Night of the Living Dead" might portray the "zombie horde" and that certainly does make people into mindless locusts who devour everything -- although the horror component is that they devour (and infect) the non-mindless.

Wacraft has a slightly different view of them, much more fantasy-oriented (skeletons, wights, liches, etc.)